Thursday, November 5, 2009

Scrunch/puff

I don't normally do this, but I have a bit of spare time at this moment!


A viewer asked how to create a "puffy" look similar to the images below:
She made it seem like an emergency so I think making a video would have taken too long!! HAHA!!

So I quickly drew up how I would have done this!

There are two ways to go about it.

I messed up the order, so I will explain option 2 first as it applies to option 1.


Option 2:
to cut out three pieces (small, medium and large pieces) and as you're sewing, push the fabric together (or "scrunch") under the foot/needle plate of the sewing machine.

You're going to sew those pieces on top of each other to create the layered look. (Line up the top if that makes sense?)

The order to sew would be small, medium then large.


Option 1: As with option 2, instead you sew the middle and large pieces onto a shorter piece of fabric (which would still have enough room for you to fit into as a skirt).

Then! After you have sewn and scrunched the small layer, add the middle layer then large layer without scrunching as you have already done so on the short pieces previously.


These techniques have different outcomes. Option 2 results in the ruffles get wider at the bottom whereas using option 1, you get even looking layers.

Different results but not so obvious!




If you're still confused, take out a ruffle skirt that you own and have a look at how it is done. Turn it inside out, check out the stitching... and if it is old and unwanted, pull it apart to see how they cut the fabric!



That is how I figured out how to sew... I must have been one bored kid!